Our team continues to be here for you and your cherished pets. We are OPEN and are now able to provide a wide range of services. To learn more about the changes we have implemented in response to COVID-19 and what to expect during your next visit, click here.
If a diet is formulated to meet the nutritional requirements for dogs and cats as laid out by AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials, The European Pet Food Industry (FEDIAF) or The National Research Council (NRC) values for dogs and cats, it is considered balanced. Commercial raw foods that are sold internationally meet these requirements. Canadian only foods may not meet these standards especially if an animal nutritionist or veterinary nutritionist was not involved in formulating the diets. We recommend calling a company and asking if they adhere to any of these standards.
Will commercial raw foods be free of bacteria?
Salmonella and E-coli are common pathogens associated with raw meat processing and handling. Commercial raw diets that have been pressure pasteurized will be free from Salmonella. Freezing also reduces bacterial counts. Larger companies routinely check their product batches for bacterial contamination.
Salmonella is also a common contaminant of dry kibble foods. Warnings about pet food contamination can be found at https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com. Unfortunately, only a few Canadian foods are listed. You can also call a company and inquire about their testing processes.
Are local raw products balanced?
Local raw foods may or may not be balanced according to AAFCO, FEDIAF or NRC requirements. Foods formulated locally are not always done with input by animal nutritionists and rarely have a detailed analysis of the ingredients been performed. In the future, we hope that local companies will take advantage of pet food nutritional analysis programs and ensure your pets get superb raw food nutrition. Our veterinarians and nutrition technician, work to stay abreast of the most popular raw foods and can help you select the most optimum local raw diets.
How can I improve my commercial raw food diet?
A commercial raw food diet can be improved by adding mixed, colourful veggies and berries once or twice a week or a specific protein, veggie and oil mixture. Sardines and oysters make a highly nutritious snack several times a week. At Full Circle Veterinary Alternatives, we can provide you with information on how and why to supplement a commercial raw diet.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday, March 23, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 902.461.0951. We will take a history of your pet over the phone, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. Once the examination is finished, we will call to discuss our recommended treatment plan over the phone and then return to your vehicle with your pet. Please ensure your pet has a properly fitted collar or is in a secure carrier. Please remove any additional clothing or blankets prior to our staff handling our patients to minimize risk to our team.
2. We are still OPEN but are now working in two shifts with reduced hours, reduced staff numbers and a need to close for extensive cleaning between shifts. Tuesday to Friday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
3. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the online store, visit our website.
4. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Online consultations are now available! If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus. You may see our team members wearing additional protective gear when interacting with our clients and patients.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Full Circle Veterinary Alternatives Inc.