Our team continues to be here for you and your cherished pets. We are OPEN and are now able to provide a wide range of services. To learn more about the changes we have implemented in response to COVID-19 and what to expect during your next visit, click here.
Are home cooked diets a healthy option for my cat or dog?
Yes! Feeding a complete diet of fresh, whole foods, cooked or raw, is a wonderful way to provide your pet with excellent nutrition, provided the diet plan you follow is balanced for the known nutritional requirements of dogs and cats. Even if it’s only a few days per week, adding fresh, balanced meals or specific supplements to your pet’s diet is proven to contribute significantly to their overall health and happiness.
Are recipes available for home prepared cooked diets?
We have many recipes to choose from to meet your pet’s needs. We can customize recipes based on ingredients that you have on hand and can advise on specific recipes for medical conditions, including limited ingredient diets for food allergies, reduced protein for kidney disease and life-stage diets for puppies, kittens and adults. Our nutrition technician works with several sources to get your pet the support needed.
What supplements will I need for home preparing?
Supplement needs vary depending on the recipes are chosen. Recipes can be balanced with food ingredients; however, we often find that to keep the meals palatable, we need to supplement with some common vitamins like vitamin E and minerals such as calcium or zinc. All recipes require some oils like cod, salmon, safflower or hemp to optimize the fatty acid components of the recipe.
At Full Circle Veterinary Alternatives, we have multivitamin mixes and dehydrated vegetable mixes available for specific types of recipes. When our nutrition technician formulates a recipe for you, part of the instructions will be suggestions on where to source the recommended supplements if they are not available at our clinic. If you are committed to providing fresh food for your pet, then we are committed to helping make the transition as easy as possible for you.
Why should I feed a cooked versus raw diet?
Every pet is different in their makeup and health status, this means that somebody systems may digest cooked foods better than raw. There are also other situations where a cooked diet is preferred for safety. Though raw diets are very safe with proper handling and storing practices, if your pet or anyone else in the household has a compromised immune system due to treatments such as chemotherapy, we recommend cooked diets as such individuals may not be able to handle possible bacteria burdens from the raw foods.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday, March 23, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 902.461.0951. We will take a history of your pet over the phone, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. Once the examination is finished, we will call to discuss our recommended treatment plan over the phone and then return to your vehicle with your pet. Please ensure your pet has a properly fitted collar or is in a secure carrier. Please remove any additional clothing or blankets prior to our staff handling our patients to minimize risk to our team.
2. We are still OPEN but are now working in two shifts with reduced hours, reduced staff numbers and a need to close for extensive cleaning between shifts. Tuesday to Friday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
3. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the online store, visit our website.
4. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Online consultations are now available! If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus. You may see our team members wearing additional protective gear when interacting with our clients and patients.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Full Circle Veterinary Alternatives Inc.